Friday, 27 December 2013

Like a moth to a flame . . .

It fascinates me and I don't know why. 
 
 
It fascinates me to see the slow, downright evolutionary pace, with which our gay American cousins are having their human rights "granted" to them.   In Canada, we're only a few years ahead, having gained same-sex partnership rights at the end of the 1990's and out-right legal marriage since 2005, so from my own perspective, what's going on south of the border has no effect on me.  My intense interest, therefore, must come from the fact that I paid no attention to the topic when Canada was wrestling with this "demon" over a decade ago.  At that time, I was a deeply closeted, "straight acting" father with no interest in the affairs of gay people. 
 
How times have changed.  This past summer, like millions in the USA, I was riveted on the internet news feed, waiting for the Supreme Court of the USA to rule on this topic. And ever since that historic day, the anti-gay marriage faction's house of cards has been slowly crumbling.  Ever so slowly.  On last count, less than half of the USA's states have enabled gay marriage. 
 
Most of my current news comes from following gay marriage "pioneer" Stuart Gaffney on Facebook (www.facebook.com/stuartgaffney). 
Stuart Gaffney (r) and his husband John Lewis
His posts several times a day have me entranced by the machinations of the ultra right wing agenda as they throw every obstacle they can muster in the way of allowing people the basic human right to love whomever they wish.  The good news is they seem to be losing on a daily basis.  Even as that bastion of morality and values, Phil Robertson, while wrapped in a bible and standing before a burning cross, gets his duck called by A&E for voicing his racist ideals and his idiotic views of homosexuality, the "moral majority" is losing the battle.  Hallelujah!
 
Even though A&E has gone soft on patriarch Phil, I haven't.  He, his show and his family will still be "on hiatus" with me.   And although I have no say in the matter, I will continue to wish the best for those that desire the "land of the free" be truly that, and I will continue to observe the slow march to freedom for USA LGTBQ couples.  
 
Like a moth to a flame . . .    

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes the pace of change is excruciating. This article by Josh Barro in Business Insider sheds some light: http://www.businessinsider.com/this-is-why-phil-robertson-is-wrong-about-gays-2013-12

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always fascinated by what Canucks think of the Yanks - if they think about them at all. Usually when I encounter I get polite responses which make me think they are hiding something :-). I suspect Canadians think of the States as rebarbative if not dangerous. Although Mr Ford in Toronto is a comfort all is not goodness up there :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr Spo, I learned my lesson years ago and no longer comment on our USA friends. You see, I cleverly didn't say "American" friends because we're all American even if we're not from the USA. The trouble is, we Canadians don't want to be known as "American", even though we are just as American as "Americans". Enough said? :-)

      Some day, when you are inclined to visit the PNW (instead of wasting time in the Centre of the Universe (a.k.a. "Tronna") where that hot mess you referred to, tries to rule), I would love to have a steeped tea from Tim Horton's with you and discuss CanUsa relations . . . :-)

      Delete
    2. oh! I can think of nothing more lovely to consider !

      Delete
  3. I think part of the reason we are so slow here is the nature of the antis. When you have millions and millions of dollars poured into anti-marriage campaigns, you can pretty much buy the election. The polls show a sea change between the attitudes of the late 90's and early 2000's when most of the anti-marriage laws and amendments were passed (and a few glaring late hold outs such as NC) and the attitudes today. Yet the states with anti-marriage laws keep trotting out the same old arguments - "It's the will of the people", yada yada yada. And yet, it's no longer the will of the people. It's the will of the Republicans and their far right Christofacist puppeteers who are running their party, and still spending money to avoid equal rights for all.
    Sigh. I wish the Supreme Court had settled this last summer.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jay, it would have been nice if SCOTUS had been more definitive!! I always cringe when I hear the right wing in the USA say that your nation was founded on Christian principles. Wow.

      Delete